Back-to-school season is quickly approaching!
A new year means a new opportunity. It’s time to shop for that first-day outfit and maybe stress a bit over making a great first impression and feeling confident. A great way to give yourself a boost is by rocking a new hairstyle.
Whether it is the first day of kindergarten or college, what better way to kick off the new school year than with a brand new look! As summer break wraps up, now is the time to hunt for a fresh and easy style that fits you best.
Every student needs a versatile look that can take them from gym class to science lab and then the high school dance. We’re here to help!
Salon130 – Ottawa’s Trusted Hair Stylists
At Salon130, our stylists know all of the latest trends and are ready to bring your vision to life. Whether you are looking for a fresh cut, colour or style, we’ve got you covered. Here are some hair ideas that will help you rock your first day!
Here are our Top 10 Tips for Your Back-to-School Hair
- Do your hair homework – Look for inspiration. Clip photos and browse shows to get ideas. Start scanning magazines and check online at least a few weeks before your appointment to find a look that suits your style.
- Bring a Photo – This is the best way to ensure our stylists bring your vision to life. Pick from your favourite hair homework looks to narrow down your top 1, 2 or 3. Be sure to bring your ideas with you to the salon so the stylist can clearly envision what it is you’re trying to achieve.
- Be realistic – Complicated styles may not be easy to pull off when you’re in a rush and the clock is ticking. Plan ahead. Try styles out to see if they will work for you on the busiest day.
- Know yourself – What is your type? Are you outdoorsy, sporty, or relaxed or are you polished, glam and urban? Think about how your choice of styles will fit into your school and after-school life.
- Consult your stylist – Our team of stylists is highly trained and can help you find a look that suits your hair texture and face shape.
- Get the right tools – Your stylist can also recommend the best tools for styling—blow dryers, straighteners and hairbrushes.
- Products definitely help – Ask your stylist for advice on products that will make styling at home easier, whether it’s the right shampoo, conditioner or styling products, they can make a huge difference.
- Accessories add variety – It’s also a good idea to line up some fun accessories like scrunchies, hairbands, telephone cord elastics, bobby pins and clips.
- Pack a survival kit – Keep all the hair accessories and products on hand, whether it be in your backpack, gym bag or pencil case for quick touch ups on the go.
- Think about easy maintenance – How much time do you have in the morning to prepare your look? How often will you need to refresh your cut and colour?
Got any tips you’d like to share? We’d love to hear from you!
Some Style Suggestions
Let’s talk about a number of styles that would work well as you jump into the school day.
Quick and Easy
Whether you stayed up way too late studying for that calculus final or are obsessed with hitting snooze, these styles take less than 5 minutes and can practically be done in your sleep.
Don’t have time to shampoo and condition? No problem! Opt for dry shampoo and a quick ponytail. Spice it up by wrapping a strand of hair over the elastic and securing with a bobby pin. Not only is this perfect for those early mornings, but it’s also great for helping you look put together post-gym class.
A patterned hair scarf quickly takes any simple style to the next level. Try pairing it with a top-knot, dutch braid or half-up style. The fun thing about hair scarves is there are so many different colours and patterns that you can make your look work with any outfit or season.
Nothing easier to throw together than a messy bun. Consider a top-knot or low bun. Add some texture with loose waves and face-framing pieces. Feeling adventurous? Consider space buns!
Style your hair while you sleep! While your hair’s still damp post-shower, comb through it with a wide-tooth comb and separate into two equal sections. French braid both starting at the root and secure with gentle hair ties. Wake up and shake out your braids for effortless waves that are heatless and perfect for those lazy days.
Here are a couple of ideas for your life outside of school.
There are so many ways to rock a half-up look. You can twist back pieces and secure with a bobby pin or french braid the sides and finish with a clear elastic. Try accessorizing with an oversized clip or hair scarf! Add extra volume to the crown with dry shampoo and a comb. This look is perfect for weekend hangouts or high school dances.
French braids are a total slumber party staple. Try mixing up the look with a Dutch braid. Instead of crossing the two outer strands over the middle one, reverse it and cross them underneath for a more dimensional braid. Add extra texture by pulling apart the braid once you’re done. Try one oversized side-braid – or two for a more classic look. If you’re looking for something that’s perfect for all your extracurricular activities, try wrapping your braid around a bun.
We’ll Help You Create the Right Style for You
Confidence is the most important thing to take to school this year, the first day and every day. A fresh, new hairstyle is an easy way to give yourself a boost when you are faced with a sea of unfamiliar faces.
Look your best, feel your best. Whatever style you go for, bottom line is take a risk, have some fun with it and Happy Back to School! (Okay, that last bit might be just for parents)
Salon 130 is here for you. Contact us today to find out more & book your next hair appointment.
Pro tip: Ottawa back-to-school hair stylists tend to get busy by late August, so be sure to book well in advance!